Each year over 250,000 military personnel and families leave their respective service for new careers in the civilian world. Faced with the challenging tasks of writing a resume, contacting potential employers, interviewing, negotiating salary, or starting a business, many veterans and their families need a "trusted friend" to coach them through the challenging transition process.
Filled with the latest strategies and timeless tips for launching a successful military-to-civilian transition, this revealing pocket guide helps users:
It also covers such important subjects as starting a business, surviving on the job, planning for retirement, documenting experience, finding a federal job, and identifying references. Jam-packed with engaging checklists, tips, examples, and exercises, this handy guide may well change your life! 64 pages. June 2009.
- identify transferable military-to-civilian skills
- locate the best military-friendly jobs and employers
- develop the right attitudes
- assess skills and state goals
- complete applications and write resumes and letters
- conduct an effective online job search
- attend and work job fairs effectively
- network, interview, and negotiate compensation
ISBN 978-1-57023-305-0 (13-digit); 1-57023-305-5 (10-digit)
By Ron Krannich, Ph.D.